Tuesday 1 January 2019

Cherry Shortbread Squares

I thought I would post another Christmas staple even though I'm sure everyone is into NO SUGAR mode as it is Jan 1st. This was a later addition to my Christmas baking repertoire and now I have to make it every year. It doesn't always look the best (the condensed milk goes brown) and the bottom sometimes separates from the top but it's so good, I have to make them. Another fun fact - well not really fun is I always buy candied cherries at the start of the baking season thinking I need them for this recipe, when actually its maraschino cherries that I need. The recipe calls for red and green but you can get away with just red. (How long do cherries last anyway??? They're not a high demand item)

Cherry Shortbread Squares
1 cup butter
2 cups all purpose flour (or slightly less as mixture is dry)
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup coconut
2/3 cup red and green maraschino cherries, cut up fine
1 can condensed milk

Butter an 8inch pan. Cream butter and sugar together. Add flour. Pat dough evenly into prepared pan.
Pierce with a fork every half inch. Bake 30 min at 350F.
Combine remaining ingredients. Spread evenly over shortbread. Bake 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan and cut into squares. *I cut the edges off so it looks nicer but they're still yummy!

If you want to see the process I posted this recipe in 2012. Whoops!

No comments: