Monday 20 January 2020

Paper Bag Apple Pie

My Mom clipped recipes out of the Brantford Expositor for years. Mary Moore always wrote a column. I don't think she was local, I believe she was syndicated but she had some great recipes. Fortuntely I scanned this one because I can't find the original at the moment.
I don't know if you can read the date or not but this recipe is from Sept 22, 1962.
Back in the "old" days you could choose to have your groceries bagged in paper. Nowadays the only paper that is available is the one you get at Thanksgiving time for the Food Drive. So I always save it just in case I happen to make this pie which I did for the past Thanksgiving.
You secure it with paperclips and place it on a cookie set and voila, when you open it up you have a perfectly cooked pie.
Now don't fret if you can't find a bag. My Aunt Janet says that you can bake it in an oven just like any old pie, just adjust the recipe a bit. I'll check with her and make sure I get the right temperature and time.

Paper Bag Apple Pie
1 unbaked 9inch pie shell
3 or 4 large baking apples
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Topping
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup butter

Peel, core and chop up apples into chunks. About 7 cups. Combine with all the dry ingredients and toss to coat well. Spoon into pastry shell and drizzle with lemon juice. Combine topping ingredients in a small bowl cutting in the butter with a pastry blender an sprinkle over apples. Slide pie into a heavy paper bag and secure with paper clips and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 425F for one hour.

NOTE: If you don't have a paper bag, bake as usual. 425F for 10 minutes then 350F for 45-50 minutes


No comments: